Thursday, July 21, 2011

more unit 10

The last day of unit 10 talked more about reflection and refraction. Refraction is the change in the direction of a wave due to a change in speed. Reflection is when a wave bounces off of an interfering thing. The picture is of a laser beam reflecting off the lens of Sho's camera. The beam hits the lens and reflects in a different direction. Unlike reflection, refraction is when the speed of the wave changes usually due to it passing through different materials. Mr. Blake's example of torching really showed me a lot about refraction. When you go torching, you walk around with a spear and light, and spear fish that are attracted to the light. However, the refraction caused by the water makes the fish appear to be further away than it is. I have first hand experience of this. The first time I went torching, I missed every time because I though the fish was in line with my eye sight when in fact, the refraction of the water on the light caused it to be closer. I thought refraction was interesting, and have noticed it all around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment